Queenstown - Church Today
Today St Peters, in the very heart of the Queenstown shopping area and near the lake edge, is a much photographed, beautiful stone building located in a grassed parklike setting.
St Peters Church, which seats approx 130, contains some beautiful items of furniture, the most noteworthy being the carved eagle lectern, the work of a Chinese man named Ah Tong, given in 1874. The two stained glass windows complement the building. The one over the alter dedicated to the memory of those parishioners who lost their lives in the second World War, depicts ‘the Call of St Peter’. The memorial to those who lost their lives in the first World War, takes the form of a plaque situated in the nave near the vestry door. The window over the font depicts the story of the Good Shepherd.
The Wakatipu Parish serves the Wakatipu Basin, including Arrowtown and Queenstown, the Lake Stations and Glenorchy, 50 kms away at the head of the lake. It is part of the Diocese of Dunedin with its Bishop and Cathedral located in that city.
Sunday 11.00 am - Holy Communion
For the summer months
PARKING: Parking at St Peter’s is available on Sundays on reserved parking places in Church Street outside the Church from 9.00am to 1.00pm. Please collect a permit from the sidesperson on the door.