The spiritual base is the tiny Mission Hall, which was build in 1889 by Henry William Valpy and family on their property in the Rees Valley. Clergy from the Anglican and Presbyterian churches in Queenstown would travel to Glenorchy several times a year to hold services in the Mission Hall and visit families in the area travelling by steamer and horse.
As time passed there was a migration of the population from the Rees Valley to the township of Glenorchy and the Mission Hall was no longer in use. By the 1950’s a group of concerned locals formed a Trust and secured a freehold section in the Glenorchy village. In 1957 the Mission Hall joined the exodus to Glenorchy, very slowly on the back of a truck.
Local effort ensured the church was refurbished. St Peters, Queenstown, donated the alter. Maintenance, as ever involved the locals rolling up their sleeves. In 2008 a new Trust, the Head of the Lake Community Church Trust was formed. The building now needed urgent repairs so with local fundraising, community grants, help from St Peters and other Queenstown churches a full restoration was possible. The Mission Hall has been returned as close as possible to its original 1889 state.
The vision for the Mission Hall remains as a base for the local community to gather for worship and fellowship.
An Anglican service of Holy Communion is held at 3.00pm with the 2016 dates as follows: May 22nd, July 24th, September 25th, November 27th.